The Astronaut BlogView Project ->
A static-generated blog powered by Gridsome.
The site is a customised site based on the Gridsome Blog Starter, with customised styles and a modified layout to allow for persisting header, footer and page transitions.
Before working full-time as a Front-End Developer, I started a Wordpress blog to write about some of my hobbies at the time - sketching, photography and making videos.
The blog has been through a few different iterations over the years; starting with Tumblr, moving through a number of free Wordpress themes and until I settled on the Tracks theme by Complete Themes for a while.
Previous designs of The-Astronaut.com
But as the blog posts slowed down and eventually stopped as work got busier, the site sat for a couple of years without being updated. This was until I caught on to the buzz of Static Site Generators and hosting sites for free on Netlify (which would save me the money I was paying for Wordpress hosting) so I rebuilt the site with Gridsome.
- Static Site Generator: Gridsome
- It's powered by Vue.JS and GraphQL - two technologies I wanted to get more experience with
- Easy file-based routing
- Out of the box Markdown file support
- Built-in Image component for support for progressive image loading
- Content Format: Markdown
- It was straight-forward to convert the existing Wordpress posts to Markdown using a Wordpress plugin
- Markdown files are easy to work with, which made it easy to update the posts to work with Gridsome
- I can easily back-up and read the posts without having a site to host them on, if I decided to remove the website completely in the future
- Gridsome supports Markdown files and has a number of Remark plugins to extend the markdown support
- Hosting: Netlify
- Free hosting, which is perfect for a simple blog with about 40 pages
- Git-based workflow and deployments